Cloud Imperium is looking for Environment Artists with experience working in high-poly modular environments. Our artists are responsible for working closely with designers in laying out and finishing geo, props, materials, and textures.
The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of environment asset creation and modular kit-based construction methodologies. They understand all phases of environment creation from block-out through lighting. They work well and communicate with designers and other disciplines in a collaborative team oriented development process.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Creating game-ready models of environmental objects (architectural building sets, organics, etc.)
- Working in the editor to build out levels and environments
- Creating efficient UV layouts that work well within engine/platform constraints
- Creating realistic PBR shaders
- Working closely with the level lead and lead environment artist
- Working closely with the Level Design Team
Working independently on asset sets and overseeing level art
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process
- Previous experience creating high-quality environments for AAA games
- Strong working knowledge of 3DS Max and Photoshop, as well as experience in using editors to lay out environments
- Strong knowledge of Substance/Quixel packages
- Experience creating environments using modular systems
- An understanding of effective asset creation and optimization
- Experience applying and tweaking shaders
- A keen eye for spatial composition and building believable scenes
- Excellent sense of form, mass, and volume
- Passion for pushing the state of the art in asset fidelity and production techniques
High degree of self-motivation and initiative
- Experience with Lumberyard
- Hard surface modeling experience
- Experience using ZBrush or Mudbox for organic shapes
- Knowledge and/or experience with PBR
- Experience with programmatic and/or parametric environment generation tools
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in gaming
- Experience in architectural, interior, or industrial design
Please provide sample pictures or a portfolio link that demonstrates:
- Exceptional modeling skills - great assets examples using custom normal workflow or high to low poly baking
- Strong understanding of a PBR workflow
- Examples of building realistic shader libraries
- Ability to create game-ready assets that work well within given technical limitations
- Very strong texturing skills and excellent knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
- Keen eye on detail and realism
- A strong sense for composition, color, and light
- At least average drawing/painting skills
This position is offered at our Wilmslow Studio by Cloud Imperium Games Ltd.
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.
CIG Diversity Statement
CIG is a global company, staunchly committed to cultivating a culture and workplace that celebrates all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. Together, we are creating a space where authentic recognition, appreciation, and understanding of the importance of diversity is fostered by everyone. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strive to build a team that represents all walks of life, and we want every employee to bring all the things that make them unique to the work environment. The universe is as vast and varied as the people in it, and it’s our differences that make it special.