Cloud Imperium is looking for a Senior Systems Designer to help lead the effort in creating gameplay systems, game modes, and scripted events for Star Citizen.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
• Design and develop new features for Squadron 42 and the Persistent Universe, working closely with the lead designer and game director to ensure Chris Roberts’ vision becomes reality.
• Be the 'go to' person for the implementation of complex systems that stretch the capabilities of the engine and challenge the expectations of players
• Be a leader within the department for cleanly implementing content with our designer tools and scripting languages
• Develop prototypes that clearly articulate the vision of the features for which you are responsible
• Pitch concepts, designs, and full-proposals to project leads
• Partner with cross-disciplinary teams to execute game systems
• Use expert data analysis skills to plot how the game is being used, draw conclusions, and make recommendations for how to improve the experience
• Identify and resolve conflicts with other disciplines in a way that best meets the design goals of the project
• Review work at various stages of implementation to ensure the execution matches the vision, goals, and quality requirements
• Routinely collect feedback from user-testing, the development team, and design management
• Identify solutions to the problems expressed that won’t negatively impact other systems or mechanics
• Create and refine gameplay mechanics
• Contribute to tools and workflow development, highlighting bottlenecks and suggesting areas where tools could improve workflow
• 5+ years of professional experience in game development in a system/tech designer capacity
• Shipped two large-scale 3D titles from pre-production to release (PC, current and next-gen consoles)
• Knowledge and experience with 'C style' programming, scripting languages or visual scripting
• Must have knowledge in writing script to handle gameplay systems such as weapon balancing, navigation mechanics, basic AI behavior, and scripted sequences
• Positive, solution-orientated individual with a passion for game development
• Experience with next-generation AAA game engines
• High degree of self-motivation and initiative
• Inherent ability to bring out the best in people around you, remain positive, and motivate your team
• Expert in time management and verbal and written communication
• Ability to gather, analyze, and act on feedback from the team
• Passion and constant drive to stay up to date with the latest technology and new techniques
• Excellent English communication and written skills
• Willing to relocate to Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
• International travel may be required as part of this role
• Knowledge and prior experience with multiple scripting languages
• Previous experience with CryEngine and/or Lumberyard.
• Experience with building behavior tree based AI
• FPS gameplay experience
• Massively-multiplayer game experience
• MP debugging experience
• Experience in data analysis
• Strong interest in sci-fi themes
This position is offered at our Frankfurt Office by Cloud Imperium Games Ltd.
Please submit your application in English
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.