Cloud Imperium Games is a global publisher/developer in the interactive entertainment industry, building the next generation of immersive games of uncompromising fidelity and scale. Star Citizen, the record-breaking space sim and massively multiplayer online game, is currently in Open Alpha Access but already has over 3 million users. We are also developing Squadron 42, a cinematic single-player adventure set in the same universe. Join us as we break boundaries and make videogame history.
We are embarking on the first steps in our paid growth story at Cloud Imperium Games but we are not neophytes to incredible growth. We started in 2012 as a tiny startup with a dream and exploded onto the crowdfunding scene to become the biggest endeavor ever launched by the enthusiasm of the crowd. Today we’ve generated over $300M in revenues, including our crowdfunding roots, as we deliver the most transparent and ambitious gaming project in history.
We have years of data on how our player base has grown, and we are now looking for a leader to come in and build out a Growth Marketing department for us to add paid growth to our trajectory. You are not inheriting a well-oiled machine, you are building the machine from the ground up in your image.
Star Citizen occupies a unique position in the games industry in that it is still actively in development, yet is already playable now by thousands of gamers daily. Our players are also passionate testers whose feedback directly results in improvements and enhancements to the game on an ongoing basis. We therefore need a savvy and thoughtful growth leader who understands that we’re not a final product looking for users, but a growing digital movement seeking fellow gamers excited to help us build the next great sci-fi game.
This role requires a heavy mix of both strategy and execution. The Growth Director will concept, plan, and lead omnichannel strategies for paid user acquisition and reactivation, prioritizing sustainable growth that respects the state of the product and community. They will be assisted by and oversee third-party agencies in the execution of our growth marketing campaigns.
The Growth Director will oversee a diverse set of projects and initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Lead paid growth for the company in a holistic manner, overseeing new user acquisition and LTV management of customers across their entire lifecycle journey as a player
- Manage the profitable investment of a growing user acquisition budget to hit KPI targets and achieve user and revenue growth
- Monitor, optimize and report performance on campaigns across active ad networks on an ongoing basis
- Lead the team in designing and developing an internal performance marketing framework (tools, processes, language, etc) to measure and optimize growth performance
- Collaborate with the Creative Services and Brand teams on ad creative development and ensure production schedules remain on track
- Define and enhance spend and measurement decision-making methodologies
- Be the company expert in current and future multi-platform advertising trends, including proactively introducing new advertising channels, aggressively testing new optimization methods, and advocating for new ad formats.
- Work with Game Development and Live Ops to ensure maximization of acquisition and engagement of live events
This role is based in Los Angeles, and will work with a highly dispersed marketing team based in LA, Texas, the UK, Germany, and Montreal. This is an inherently collaborative leadership role and will require you to interface regularly with our brand and product teams, creative services, marketing production, website and platform, community, and direct marketing depts.
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate is an accomplished marketing leader who has driven a team to success in a growth marketing capacity. They understand that optimal growth comes from combining the art of storytelling with the science of performance marketing. They are personable, analytical, responsible, and detail-oriented, with the ability to motivate and direct a team on concurrent projects relating to the management and growth of large-scale advertising campaigns.
- 5+ years of experience leading growth and user acquisition for successful interactive gaming titles or consumer ecommerce brands
- 2+ years managing a team to meet and exceed growth and revenue targets, inspiring innovative, collaborative thinking and maximum output
- Demonstrated experience scaling multi-million dollar annual UA budgets from launch to growth to maturity
- Demonstrated experience in identifying, working with, and maximizing current and new user acquisition platforms, especially in a mobile-constrained environment.
- Proven experience managing differences between diverse global ad markets, including non-Western channels, with input into complex budget strategies across diverse geographies.
- Demonstrated experience building processes and exit KPIs for creative testing at high velocity
- Proven analytical skills; ability to analyze raw data, draw conclusions, and develop actionable recommendations
- Understanding and experience driving holistic growth campaigns where paid performance is just one aspect of the mix; experience with OOO, TV, and influencer marketing highly desired.
- Relentless mindset of optimization
- High degree of accountability and sense of ownership
Cloud Imperium Games is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.