Cloud Imperium Games is looking for an experienced Senior Character Artist to join our team!
This candidate would collaborate with the Art Director to develop celebrity characters, creatures, and armor for Star Citizen. In this role they will create AAA quality characters for use in gameplay, cinematics, and marketing materials.
This person will help deliver the requirements for the cutting-edge development of the record-breaking crowd-funded project, space-simulation FPS MMO “Star Citizen” and the action-packed cinematic story campaign game “Squadron 42” with its star-studded cast including Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, John Rhys-Davies, and Mark Strong (to name just a few).
- Work alongside the Art Director and Technical Director to maintain and push the high standards of modeling, texturing, PBR material creation to provide consistent and high quality models
- Creating highpoly and lowpoly models of characters following concept art and art direction for in-game and cinematic usage with nominal direction.
- Creating efficient UV layouts that work well within the engine/platform constrains
- Mentorship and feedback to other artists on the team
- Photorealistic texturing of characters using proprietary tools
- Creating photorealistic hair using proprietary tools
- Working closely with Tech Art and other dependent departments throughout the character production process
- Feedback to outsource vendors on various character art assets
- and such other duties and responsibilities assigned by Cloud Imperium Games reasonably consistent with employee’s skills and experience
- Must be willing to work in Los Angeles, California and to work closely with different time zones
- You are able to create believable characters that are full of life and personality in high-poly and low-poly models as well as textures
- You have experience in making photo-realistic heads and hair
- You posses an intimate knowledge of human anatomy and form
- The ability to adapt to and innovate new styles and techniques
- Strong organic modeling skills (human faces, clothing, realistic creatures)
- Strong hard-surface modeling skills (armor and props)
- Knowledge of major 3D software packages (Maya, Max, and ZBrush)
- 5+ years shipped game title experience
- Experience with outsourcing
- Experience managing content and developing pipelines, experience painting textures in, tuning (or creating) surface shaders for real-time rendered characters)
- Experience working with real-time in-game hair
- High degree of initiative, self-starter, looks for opportunities to make improvements
- Ownership mentality, results oriented, invested in outcomes
- Strong work ethic and leads by example
- Superb relationship building skills (locally & internationally)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with X-Gen
- Passion for games
This position is offered at our Los Angeles Studio by Cloud Imperium Games LLC.
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.