Cloud Imperium Games is seeking a Cinematic Animator/Artist with extensive animation experience to join our Marketing Cinematics team in the Wilmslow, UK Studio!
Cloud Imperium Games is a fast-paced video gaming company on the cutting edge of technology developing two AAA titles: Star Citizen and Squadron 42. The UK studio is a vibrant team of over 250 people (normally) working in a relaxed and collegiate atmosphere with sister studios in Derby, Frankfurt, Austin and Los Angeles. We have flexible working hours, games, an in-house barista, various sports and social groups, and extremely talented colleagues.
The Marketing Cinematics Team release in-engine linear content to our growing fan base – cinematic and gameplay trailers, commercials, and narrative content.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in animation and motion capture editing. Although this will be a primary part of the role, we require someone with a broader skillset who can contribute to the wider aspects of trailer creation. This would extend to having the ability to dynamically animate spaceships, vehicles, cameras and other visual effects. A strong grasp of cinematography and visual storytelling would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will be required to learn and utilise the game engine to create authentic character performances, stunning animations and to contribute more broadly to our cinematic sequences/trailers.
Skills must be demonstrated via a Showreel/Portfolio, with a shot breakdown of contributions.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Collaborate with the Showrunner, Marketing Cinematic Lead, and the Marketing Cinematics team on all cinematic content, specifically focusing on animation needs
- Consult with and follow best practices with animation director, animation lead and senior animators on implementing animations for our cinematic trailers, commercials, and any other experimental content.
- Working with motion capture data to assist in pre-viz animation on preliminary scenes, and then implement locomotion sets, background characters and scripted events. Key frame ability necessary but the focus will be motion capture editing.
- Ensure timely completion of animation commitments at the desired quality bar
- Partners with designers and other departments involved
- 4+ years of professional experience working as an animator in film, television, and/or video game industries
- An understanding of physical motion, weight, balance and form
- Attention to detail
- Fundamental knowledge of film cinematography principles
- Positive, solution-oriented individual, familiar with a high-volume of work and compressed deadlines.
- Expert knowledge of Maya / Motion builder.
- Passion and constant drive to stay up to date with latest technology and new techniques.
Desirable additional skills:
- Knowledge of Lumberyard
- A good grasp of the visual-storytelling process; taking storyboards/animatics, through to final compositions.
- Drawing: story boarding, 2d animation, gesture drawing
- Knowledge of shot composition, lighting, colour theory.
- Experience with rigging
- Strong interest in science fiction-based themes
- Experience with Outsourcing and/or collaboration with external studios
Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire, UK
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.