Cloud Imperium is looking for a Senior Games Designer to help lead the effort in creating and balancing gameplay systems for Star Citizen in Wilmslow (Manchester).
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Design and develop new features for Squadron 42 and the Persistent Universe, working closely with the lead designer and the game director to ensure Chris Roberts’ vision becomes reality
- Balance existing vehicle systems in a holistic manner and integrate new systems in the same way.
- Use data analysis to plot how the game is being used, draw conclusions, and make recommendations for how to improve the experience.
- Routinely collect feedback from user-testing, the development team, and design management.
- Identify solutions to the problems expressed that won't negatively impact other systems or mechanics.
- Must be able to implement systems and content that stretches the capabilities of existing systems.
- Cleanly implement content with our designer tools and scripting language.
- Develop prototypes that clearly articulate the vision of the features for which you are responsible.
- Pitch concepts, designs, and full-proposals to project leads.
- Partner with cross-disciplinary teams to execute game systems.
- Create and refine gameplay mechanics.
- Contribute to tools and workflow development, highlighting bottlenecks and suggesting areas where tools could improve workflow.
- 5+ years of professional experience in game development in a system/tech designer capacity
- Experience shipping one large-scale 3D title from pre-production to release (PC, current or next-gen consoles)
- Professional experience balancing gameplay systems; especially combat systems.
- Must have knowledge in writing script to handle gameplay systems such as weapon balancing, navigation mechanics, basic AI behaviour, and scripted sequences
- Positive, solution-orientated individual with a passion for game development
- Experience with next-generation AAA game engines
- Excellent sense for design and creating outstanding user experiences
- Focused, motivated, and effective on all tasks until completion
- A positive team-oriented attitude
- Proactive, self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to complete tasks within given time constraints
- Excellent English communication and written skills
- Willing to relocate to Wilmslow, Cheshire
- International travel may be required as part of this role
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.